Are you an artist who could use some extra income?
There are so many ways you can use your creative skills to build a side hustle to generate extra income. Or even just generate SOME income if you’re currently unemployed.
Over the last few years I’ve made over $40,000 in online income while working a full time job. While it’s not enough to quit my day job just yet, I’ve been able to pay for vacations, unexpected bills, and even part of a mortgage.
Yes, it will take time and you’re not going to be making thousands of dollars right away.
However, if you have the patience and drive to do the work and learn, you can be successful. In a few years time you could be generating a few hundred to thousands of extra dollars per month. And well, who is going to say no to that?
So what are you waiting for?
Below are just a few ideas of ways you can make some cash from your art skills online.
This is not a comprehensive list by any means, but just some ideas I’ve come across and some I’ve tried for myself. You will have to dive deeper into researching each of these ideas for yourself. I have linked to my other blog posts on these topics where possible.
13 Ways to Make Money from your Art Online
- Sell your original artwork or hand made goods on Etsy.
- Create downloadable art prints or worksheets to sell through Etsy or your own website.
- Print on demand websites and marketplaces like Redbubble, Society6, Zazzle etc.
- Print on demand through your own website (Shopify, Printful, etc.)
- Books and book covers through Amazon KDP.
- Youtube: Film videos of yourself creating, then once you get enough subscribers and watch hours (1000 subs and 4000 watch hours) you can start generating income from Youtube. You can also make money from affiliate links by linking to Amazon products you use for your art.
- Blog with affiliate links: Create articles about the type of art you do, product reviews, tutorials etc. and then you can look for affiliate partnerships like the Amazon affiliate program where you can send people to buy the products you use and recommend.
- Teaching: Either through Youtube or a website like Skillshare which charges a subscription fee. If you send people over there to sign up you can get paid.
- Patreon: Your fans can subscribe to you by donating a monthly $ pledge, and then you give them exclusive content and interact with them.
- Social media: Build up a following on Instagram or TikTok and sell your artwork to your fans straight through the platform.
- Create for virtual marketplaces: This one is kind of out there, but if you’ve ever heard of Second Life or IMVU there are many opportunities to create 3D fashion designs or other products to sell within these virtual marketplaces for real cash.
- Sell design elements for other creatives or businesses through Creative Market or Etsy.
- Offer your design services on Fiverr or through your own website.
- Create things people want to buy (do a bit of research).
- Use high resolution images as much as possible. (Don’t start with tiny blurry photos or small pixel sizes, it’s a waste of time).
- Never stop learning and growing your skills.
That should be enough ideas to get those creative juices flowing. As a creative person you will probably come up with even more ideas to make money from your art. And always be keeping an eye out for more opportunities!
Which one of these ideas resonated with you the most? Let me know in the comments below!