Hey guys! Today I’d like to share with you some tips for growing your art account on Instagram.
If you’re an artist and not using Instagram, get on it! I find it’s better than Facebook or Twitter for artists because it’s more visual based.
In fact, many artists today use Instagram as their art portfolio instead of having a website. While I don’t recommend that, as having your own space on the internet is always best practice, it can be a great place to connect with fans and other artists.
Keep in mind that no one really knows how the algorithm works except the folks who work at Instagram. People will tell you to do this or that or don’t do this or that, but they really don’t know either, so take it with a grain of salt.
These tips are just things that have worked for me personally, and are not guaranteed to work for you. Don’t focus too much on your follower count. Being authentic, focusing on creating quality content, and engaging meaningfully with your fans and followers should be your main focus.
Here are some tips for growing your account and getting more engagement on Instagram.
- Post daily, if not to your feed at least to stories.
- Create fun and interactive stories using polls, stickers etc.
- Respond to comments on your posts.
- Respond to other people’s stories.
- Use relevant hashtags when you post. Use a mix of broad and smaller hashtags with less than 1 million posts. For example, use #art and #artistsoninstagram, but also use smaller hashtags that are relevant to your specific style of art or the subject of your post.
- Switch up hashtags from post to post, don’t use the same ones every time.
- Experiment with posting at different times of the day.
- Experiment with Reels and IGTV.
- Add a location to your posts. It could be the location you actually are, or a different location depending on the post subject or target audience.
- Create content that isn’t pushing people to buy anything, but simply showing your work or offering something of value to your followers.
- Create quality content. Images in focus with good lighting, and clear screenshots. Experiment with using props and mix up your feed.
- Post selfies. Even as an artist, selfies get high engagement on Instagram. Take photos of yourself holding your art or wearing and using your products if you sell through print on demand.
- Engage daily by liking and commenting on posts in your home feed.
- Follow hashtags that are relevant to your niche or art style and they will show up on your home feed.
- Check out the top posts and use them for inspiration, but don’t copy.
- Every day, if you can, go through a few hashtags relevant to your work or style and like/comment/follow accounts using that hashtag.
- Add Alt Text to your posts.
That’s it! I hope you’ve found some helpful tips here. If you have more to add feel free to leave them in the comments!
Oh and make sure you follow me on Instagram!
You may also find the following posts helpful: